The Debrecen Reformed Theological University (DRTU) has been a higher educational institution of the Reformed College of Debrecen since its foundation in 1538. It is run by the Transtibiscan Reformed Church District, and is also acknowledged, accredited and funded also by the state. Supervision on legal grounds is performed by the Minister of Education, administrative power is exercised by the Presidium of the Transtibiscan Reformed Church District according to the church and state laws in force.
The DRTU offers a broad choice of educational programmes and high-level instruction and research in the training of ministers, religion teachers and other fellow-workers for the Reformed Church in Hungary. Since DRTU merged with the Kölcsey Ferenc Reformed Teacher Training College in 2011 it has also trained undergraduate teachers for the Hungarian public education and experts for other cultural institutions. Church membership is compulsory for the students of the divinity programmes.
DRTU offers programmes and performs research at four institutes, altogether at nineteen departments. The institution has about 70 full-time lecturers and about 950 students.
DRTU has its permanent headquarters in Debrecen. Its address is: 16, Kálvin tér, Debrecen, Hungary, H-4026.
Year of foundation: 1538